Saturday 8 June 2013

Sinking and Floating (introductory displacement)

Following on from yesterday's oil experiments, Jasmine and I moved on to displacement today, in our bid to satisfy her scientific thirst.  We sought out some objects and talked about sinking and floating before making a table on to which Jasmine would record her hypotheses regarding which items would sink and which would float.  This was great writing practise, though I will have to teach her how to use a ruler next time!
 


 
Once the table was filled in, we took our objects to the bathroom where Jasmine dropped each one into the bath, which I had filled with water.


 
About halfway through our experiment, Jasmine looked up and said, "I think the weight of the object is what makes it sink."  This led to a discussion on displacement and Jasmine's confidence grew to the point where she declared, "I can look at any object now and know whether it will sink or float!
 
Hypotheses and results
She had lots of fun with the stacking cups that we always use in the bath - it fascinated her to watch them float, then slowly fill with water before sinking gently to the bottom of the bath.

 
This activity was great fun, particularly for Jasmine.  I think it's a good one to do with all preschoolers, even if they haven't shown any specific scientific interest.  It introduces cause and effect and, at the very least, offers a great base for water play!







8 comments:

  1. Oooh this is a fantastic idea! I must do it with my little ones x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - it was great fun and teaches many things x

      Delete
  2. I can't wait until my littlies can write like this, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took her ages to write out the tables, bless her, but she was very committed to finishing it!

      Delete
  3. love the tables and charts she has written! thats so good. we do this but never thought of making any chart

    anna (intheplayroom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - my 4yo would love this! #MessyPlay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been meaning to do this with Esther and William for so long. I think we might do it on holiday as we can do it with every day things x Thank you for linking up to Messy Play for Matilda Mae x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I have been meaning to do with Esther and William for so long. You have just inspired me to do it whilst we are away on holiday as it is something we can do with everyday things. Thank you x And thank you for linking up to Messy Play for Matilda Mae

    ReplyDelete