Thursday 16 May 2013

Slow-cooked Caribbean chicken casserole with coconut fried rice

 
I enjoy cooking, particularly when it comes to trying out new meals.  Recently, though, I've lacked time, energy, inspiration, whatever.  The result has been rather bland, quick meals that are just not blog-worthy.

Today, I snapped back into my cooking mojo and made something so beautifully colourful that I wasn't sure whether to serve it or photograph it.

So I did both.


To make this Caribbean-inspired stew, I used the following:

400g chicken breast pieces
2 large carrots, cut into ribbons using a vegetable peeler
2 red onions, cut into wedges
3 peppers, cut into strips
100g spinach
14g (half a standard packet) flat-leaf parsley
200g coconut milk
400g chopped tomatoes
2tbsp jerk seasoning paste




So many wonderful colours.

The absolute beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity.

Throw the aforementioned components into a slow cooker for 4-6 hours (you may wish to omit the spinach until the final hour) and they are transformed into a gorgeous casserole packed with flavour and goodness.  In fact, one portion of this delicious meal counts as 4 of your 5 a day!

Serve with rice, boiled for 8 minutes and then fried in 200ml coconut milk, and a 400g can of kidney beans.

Lovely.

3 comments:

  1. This looks lovely, I am going to have to try it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my slow cooker, and what a great recipe, just what a slow cooker recipe should be lots of interesting colours, a variety of ingredients that can be tossed in and left giving a wonderful result at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a lifelong veggie I am SUCH a novice when it comes to cooking meat, but this definitely sounds like something I could manage and my family would love. Pinned and Stumbled. Thanks for joining in with #recipeoftheweek - there's a new one up here http://www.amummytoo.co.uk/2013/05/tomato-asparagus-garlic-spaghetti/ if you'd like to join in again :D

    ReplyDelete