Sunday 28 April 2013

Onion noodle soup (15p per portion)

With the Live Below the Line challenge looming, I have spent today preparing and planning.

And drinking tea, which will not be allowed as of midnight.

I am a little apprehensive, to say the least.

However, I am having fun thinking like a super saver.

A £5 weekly budget will not buy you a lot.

What it will buy you, though, is a lovely onion soup.

To make this soup, I used the following:

6 brown onions at 30p (from a pack of 10 bought for 50p)
1 can of new potatoes in water at 19p
1 pack of noodles with chicken flavour seasoning sachet at 11p
3/4 litre of tap water


I dry fried the onions, once peeled and chopped, on a low heat until they were soft and golden. 


I then added the potatoes (including the water they came in), the seasoning sachet from the packet of noodles and the water and upped the heat to medium, leaving the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes before blitzing thoroughly.  Finally, I added the noodles and simmered for a further 10 minutes.



Honestly, I am amazed that for 60p, I have made four portions of a soup that smells yummy and looks really filling.  Obviously, the proof of the pudding, or soup in this case, will be in the eating.  But for the price, I really cannot complain!

To sponsor me on my Live Below the Line journey please click here.  Every penny donated goes to Save the Children and makes a big difference.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment